Wedding Cake Baking & Decorating
This Course covers the fundamentals of making both traditional and contemporary Wedding Cakes. The Course is facilitated by the well-established Kate de Waal from Sugar ‘n Ice – Handmade Cakes of Distinction.
Upon completion of this Course, you will have all the knowledge and guidance for making tiered Wedding Cakes with a variety of different finishes.
At The SA School of Weddings, our aim is to equip you with both professional knowledge and hands on practical experience for you to start your exciting career in Wedding Cakes.
Modules Covered In The Course
- Introduction to the World of Wedding Cakes
- Tools and Ingredients Needed
- Covering Dummy Cakes, Sponge & Fruit Cakes with Plastic Icing
- Making Royal Icing
- Different Piped Embroidery Designs using Royal Icing
- Piped Borders using Royal Icing
- How to Set Up and Support the Mechanics of a Wedding Cake
- Modelling Paste for Flowers
- How to make Iced Flowers including Roses, Blossoms, Trumpet flowers,
- Daisies and Lilies
- Butter Icing
- Chocolate Ganache
- The Technique of Icing a Cake with Soft Icing
- Decorating a Cake with Fresh Flowers
- Baking Demonstration
- Vanilla Butter Sponge
- Red Velvet with a Cream Cheese Icing
- Moist Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Work
- Chocolate collars
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate panels
- Chocolate Ganache
- Assembling Wedding Cakes
- Meeting with your Couples
- Initial Meeting
- Understanding the Needs of the Couple
- Dealing with Difficult Clients
- Keeping Record of Discussions
Next Scheduled Dates
Part Time (Once a week for 8 weeks)
- Saturday’s: (Once a week from 13:30 – 16:00)
- 1 July 2023
Full Time (3 Days)
- 4-6 July (9am -4pm)
- 1-3 August (9am -4pm)
- 5-7 September (9am -4pm)
Weekly Part Time: Students are required to have a minimum 80% attendance rate and complete the Final Assessment. The pass mark for the Final Assessment is 65% and students are required to pass both the admin section and the practical section successfully. Upon successful completion of the Course, students will received a Skills Programme Certificate in Wedding Cakes from The SA School of Weddings.
Intensive Full Time: Students are required to have 100% attendance rate and complete all admin and practical sessions of the course successfully. Upon successful completion of the Course, students will receive a Certificate of Attendance for the 3 day Skills Programme in Wedding Cakes.
Students are given the brief for their Final Assessment at the beginning of the Course and this is due at the end of the Course. The School strongly advises that students start working on this brief right from the beginning of the Course so as to stay on trend and utilise time management effectively.
Please note students are required to provide ALL elements for their Assessments on their own account.
The SA School of Weddings employs a professional photographer for these Assessments so that students have professional images to use for building their portfolios and businesses going forward.
NB: Please take note that the full time 3 day course does not include an assessment.