Wedding Cake Course Outline
This Course covers the fundamentals of making both traditional and contemporary Wedding Cakes. The Course is facilitated by the well-established Kate de Waal from Sugar ‘n Ice – Handmade Cakes of Distinction.
Upon completion of this Course, you will have all the knowledge and guidance for making tiered Wedding Cakes with a variety of different finishes.
At The SA School of Weddings, our aim is to equip you with both professional knowledge and hands on practical experience for you to start your exciting career in Wedding Cakes.
Modules Covered in the Course
- Introduction to the world of wedding cakes
- Tools and ingredients needed
- Covering dummy’s, sponge & fruit cakes with plastic icing
- Making Royal icing
- Different piped embroidery designs using Royal icing
- Piped borders using Royal Icing
- How to set up and support and the mechanics of a wedding cake
- Modelling paste for flowers
- How to make iced flowers including Roses, Trumpet flowers, Daisies and Lilies
- Butter icing
- Chocolate ganaches
- The technique of icing a cake with soft icing
- Decorating a cake with fresh flowers
- Baking Demonstration
- vanilla Butter Sponge
- Red Velvet with a Cream Cheese Icing
- Moist Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate work
- Chocolate collars
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate panels
- Chocolate Ganache
- Assembling Wedding Cakes
- Meeting with your Couples
- Initial Meeting
- Understanding the Needs of the Couple
- Dealing with Difficult Clients
- Keeping Record of Discussions
- Facebook & Twitter Workshop
- Establishing your Target Market
- Trend Spotting
- Marketing your Business Effectively
- Charging for your services
- Dealing with Industry Suppliers – Wedding Planners, Florists, Venues and Photographers
- Building portfolio
Part Time Course Weekly
Once a week for 3 months (12 weeks)
Saturday Afternoons: 2pm – 4pm
Wednesday Evenings: 6pm – 8pm
Full Time Course (Monday to Wednesday) – Intensive
25th – 27th January 2016
3 days consecutively from 8.30am – 3.30pm
The Intensive Full Time Course is specifically designed for people outside of Gauteng.
Students are given the brief for their Final Assessment at the beginning of the Course and this is due at the end of the Course. The School strongly advises that students start working on this brief right from the beginning of the Course so as to stay on trend and utilise time management effectively.
The Assessment presentations are held on the last Sunday of the Course. The reason for this being that many of our students work full time and therefore that entire weekend is dedicated to the preparation and presentation of this final Assessment.
Please note students are required to provide ALL elements for their Assessments on their own account.
The SA School of Weddings employs a professional photographer for these Assessments so that students have professional images to use for building their portfolios and businesses going forward.
Weekly Part Time: Students are required to have a minimum 80% attendance rate and complete the Final Assessment. The pass mark for the Final Assessment is 70% and students are required to pass both the admin section and the practical Cake Making section successfully. Upon successful completion of the Course, students will received a Skills Programme Certificate in Wedding Cakes from The SA School of Weddings.
Intensive Full Time: Students are required to have 100% attendance rate and complete all admin and practical sessions of the course successfully. Upon successful completion of the Course, students will receive a Certificate of Attendance for the 3 day Skills Programme in Wedding Cakes.
|Registration Fee:||R2000The Registration fee is an admin fee and is a security deposit to secure your space in the class.
Please note that this is a non-refundable fee and is not included in the total Course fees.
|Course fees are inclusive of printed material, basic tool kit and all ingredients and samples for the Course.|
|Cost of Course:||R4000Payment Terms
Part Time Weekly Course:
Course can be paid in full or in 2 x R2000 installments.
First payment is due before the first class and last payment is due by the last class and before the Final Assessment in order to qualify.
Full Time Intensive Course: Full payment is due upon commencement of the Course.
You will need to complete the following in order to register for the Course:
- Send us a valid copy of your ID or Passport
- Signed and completed Enrolment Form (attached)
- Proof of payment of R2000 Registration Fee
- Email enrolment from to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference: Name & Surname
Once your registration is complete, you will receive a Welcome Letter to The SA School of Weddings together with your student number.