Advanced Wedding Planning
The Certificate in Advanced Wedding Planning has been designed by industry professionals to equip future wedding planners with the basic skills they will need for a successful career in all aspects of wedding planning. Both technical and practical, this course guides aspiring planners through all aspects of the wedding industry, allowing the students to gain a greater understanding as to which will be their chosen path at the end of the course. It also offers guidance for developing a start-up business or working within an existing business or venue based on industry standards.
All the elements of a wedding are carefully assimilated into modules, whereby students are guided by professional facilitators within their area of expertise, giving them the skills and the confidence needed to achieve success in this competitive industry.
Some of the Modules Covered in the Course
- Introduction to the wonderful world of Weddings
- The Importance of the Relationship between Wedding Planner & Venue Coordinator
- The Role of the Wedding/Event Planner vs that of a Wedding/Event Co-ordinator or a Venue Co-ordinator
- Cultural Wedding Traditions & the originations thereof
- Wedding Products & Services
- Wedding Trends
- Wedding Etiquette
- Professional Industry endorsed Specialists introduce and host lectures on each product and service offered within the wedding industry according to their area of expertise.
- Meeting with your Couples
- Initial Meeting
- Planning of Future Meetings
- Final Meetings
- Pulling the Plans Together
- Understanding the needs of the Couple
- Dealing with Difficult Clients
- How to Charge for your Services
- Important Items to Include
- Creating a personal pacakge inline with your services
- Fee Structure and Guidance
- Definiting your scope of responsibilitiesYour
- Terms and Conditions
- How to sell your services
- Scheduling the Wedding Timeline in Template Form
- Scheduling for a Wedding Planner
- Difference Types & Styles of Weddings
- Managing your Clients Budget
- Budget Templates
- Preparation for Wedding/Event Day Management
- The Wedding Ceremony
- Coordinating a Wedding Rehearsal
- The Ceremony according to a Marriage Officer
- The variation of ceremonies
- The elements involved in a wedding ceremony
- Dress and Attire
- The Bride
- The Retinue
- Groom and Groomsmen Etiquette Styles
- Colour Coordination
- Wedding Venues
- Ceremony Venues
- Reception Venues
- Evaluation of the Venue
- Understanding of the Services offered by the Venues
- Working with Venue Coordinators
- Understanding the Venues Operating Systems
- Interaction with Caterers
- Catering from a Wedding Planners Perspective
- Serving Styles
- Venue Catering
- Private Catering
- Dietary Requirements
- Breifing the caterer
- Menu Selections
- Wine Tasting
- Serving Wines
- Wine Varietals
- Food & Wine Paring
- Most Suitable Wines for Weddings
- Tasting and Assessing
- Basic Business Management
- Understanding the Basics
- Time Management
- Balance of Work and Lifestyle
- Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest
- Establishing your Target Market
- Trend Spotting
- Marketing your business effectively
- Creating your branding
- Wedding cakes from a wedding planners perspective
- Hair & make-up from a wedding planners perspective
- Basic flower arranging
- Briefing a Florist & Décor Supplier
- Basic draping
- Wedding stationery basics
- Photography & Videography from a wedding planners perspective
- Music, entertainment for weddings/ events
- Selecting, detailing and dealing with service providers
- Building a portfolio
4 months Part Time (one evening per week 6pm – 9pm)
Registrations are open and classes fill up quickly in the new year so early registration is advisable
JHB – Olivedale
- 6 September 2017 (Wednesday 6pm-9pm)
PTA – Menlyn
- 7 August (Monday 6pm-9pm)
DBN – Westville
- 17 August 2017 (Mondays 6pm-9pm)
CPT – Heritage Square, Durbanville
- 5 July 2017 (Wednesdays 6pm-9pm)
Students are given the brief for their final assessment due at the end of the course. The School strongly advises that students start working on this brief from the beginning of the course so as to stay on trend.
It has been noted in the past that some students underestimate the amount of work that is involved and end up starting too late, creating negative results.
The presentation of the assessment is held on the last Sunday of the course. The reason for this being that many of the students work full time and therefore the whole weekend is dedicated to the preparation of this final assessment.
Students are given the opportunity to get involved with assisting at weddings planned and executed by The Wedding Specialist (Khali Collins – nee de Villiers’ wedding planning company, well recognised within the industry). There are also opportunities to work part time with other suppliers and venues dedicated to employing students for mutual gain.
Students will also be involved with The SA School of Weddings Wedding Wish Programme, an annual charity event whereby the students showcase their talent at an actual function. All students are also required to get involved in a group styled shoot, in order to aid in building a greater portfolio during the course.
The School provides support to students who require assistance after the completion of the course. Students are able to bounce ideas around and seek guidance.
Additionally, the School recommends successful students to venues and companies who are looking for staff within their organisation.
In order to receive a Certificate in Advanced Wedding Planning, a student is required to successfully complete all the assessments/ assignments and tasks set out by The SA School of Weddings.
Students must also meet the qualifications, standards, ethics and ideals necessary to successfully and responsibly serve future clients as a professional Wedding Planner.
80% attendance is required and the pass mark of 65% must be obtained in order to successfully pass the Certificate in Advanced Wedding Planning.